14 September 2006

missed opportunities

for some reason, i have been the anti-social when it comes to parties, cocktails or karaoke nights which involved our clients. i had to drag my feet when i get invited to their functions or parties. i mean, i am your slave (for 8-10 hours a day, for 5-6 days a week) and you still want to see me after work?! seriously, that’s too much “bonding” for us.

don’t get me wrong. i appreciate all their invites and i really don’t mind having chit chats or casual hi’s and hellos with all of them but that’s about it. we are not friends so lets not all pretend that we are. besides, being in a party where i really don’t know a lot of people make me a bit awkward…and bored. that’s why i’m thankful to my bosses for being in the “party scene” with the clients (but sometimes, i know they don’t want to go too).

last july, boss #2 asked me to accompany him at a magazine launch for a client. i told boss #2 that I wouldn’t go because i have things to finish at the office. and i’m not really that hands-on for this specific account so i wouldn’t really know what to do there. so off he went to the launch. an hour or so has passed and boss #2 called me.

boss #2: jen, hulaan mo kung sino andito sa launch?
me: uhm, si ___________. (some person we all despise at that time. hehehe.)
boss #2: hindi. Si JAZA kaya.
me: hindi nga sir?! (my heart was starting to leap.) SI JAZA?????
boss #2: oo nga. nag-kwentuhan pa nga kami e. (boss #2 used to work closely with JAZA and fernando during his stint at ayala land)
me: hay. hay. andyan pa siya?
boss #2: wala na. he stayed for only a few minutes. dapat talga sumama ka.

yeah, i SHOULD have been there. that would be another JAZA moment for me aside from my sharing an elevator with him at intercon a few yeasr back. i might even ask him to pose with me for a photo. that would truly be a kodak worthy moment!

in august, the same client transferred to a bigger office and celebrated their anniversary. so naturally, we were invited to the party. again, i decided not to go and my bosses were cool about it. they were also having second thoughts of going but they had no choice really. they decided to stay for two hours tops and leave the party.

as a last minute convincing, my counterpart at the client side even texted and persuaded me to go. “jen, it’s a party. free food. overflowing booze,” she said. i politely declined.

a few days ago, boss #2 and i were viewing a cd of their party photos and hoping we can find something decent for a photo release. We were laughing our heads off with every photo because of our silly comments.

then came this photo……

me: “ Si ELY BUENDIA!!!” (screaming!) Sir! Si ELY Buendia andun!!!! (i was jumping up and down while saying this.)
boss #2: di yan si ely noh.
me: sir! believe me! that’s ely buendia! i’m 210% sure!!! bakit hindi nyo sinabi sa akin na pumunta siya sa party?
boss #2: di ko rin alam. kasi maaga din kami umalis e.
me: huhuhu. sayang naman. sana nakita ko ulit sa ely buendia in the flesh.
boss #2: ikaw kasi e. sabi syo sumama ka pag may party.
me: sabi ko nga e.

so let it be lessons learned for me. i should allow my bosses to drag me to client parties or functions. coz i don’t know who i will miss seeing next.

an after thought: i should allow my bosses to drag me to client parties or functions??? NOT! ;-D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man!

Anonymous said...

no, don't allow them to drag you to parties. just have an insider text you who's coming. :) :P

Anonymous said...

kaya sa susunod sumama ka na malay mo ako naman ang nandun sa party.. joke.. peace...